9.13.2011

6.16.11 Dinner. Comet (Lower East Side. Milwaukee, WI)

It was my birthday!  So, guess where I wanted to go?  That's right folks... Comet Cafe.   This will be a quick because I was too lazy too get everyone's foods pictured and blog about it.  I didn't want to be preoccupied with my blog notes while a bunch of my wonderful friends came out to celebrate.

I decided to get there early and wait for everyone to come since I'm such a good host and don't want anyone sitting by themselves.  Plus, I had a bunch of people coming, since I'm so popular (jk) and wanted to ensure that we had an appropriate sized area to fit us all.  If you've been to Comet, you know that it isn't the best spot for larger groups but they always try to accommodate the best they can.  I put my  name on the wait list, ordered a Bell's Oberon (one of my Summer beers of choice) and sat outside to wait for my friends.  They said it would be a wait but what can be expected on a Thursday night on the East Side.

When my friends all arrived, we waited about 20-30 minutes to sit.  (Shout out side note to my friends that came.)   The server that was keeping an eye on out for our party was super friendly and helpful.  She kept an eye out on all the different spots in the restaurant to get a good idea of what two tables were going to be open first.  She often checked back with our group to give us tentative seating times.  They sat us at two booths, back to back on the bar side with one chair at the end.  Of course,  I sat on the chair at the end to ensure that I can mingle with all my friends throughout the night.  We all ordered food.  As I said before, I will only review what I ordered.  Refer to the 6.3.11 and 6.12.11 blogs for more details about Comet's atmosphere and jive.

Here's what I got...
Details.  Comet Cuban.  Wilsons farm pork shoulder, ham, house-made pickles, swiss cheese, whole grain mustard pressed and grilled on ciabatta bread.  Side of fries and a pickle.  $9.00
Slice of wild berry pie with a dollop of whipped cream.  $0.00 (Birthday girl special, with a candle in it!)

Comet Cuban and fries.
My thoughts:  A whole lot of food packed into a little sandwich.  Boy, was I stuffed at the end of it.  Lots of meat was loaded onto this sandwich.  Obviously, if you're not a pork person, don't eat this.  Very tasty sandwich and the whole grain mustard really stands out.  I had a wipe some of the mustard away because at times, there was too much present in one bite.  The ciabatta that was pressed and toasted added a very nice texture to the sandwich.  As it is with most Cubans, the act of toasting and pressing the sandwich is key.  But, per Wikipedia the Cuban sandwich is usually served on Cuban bread.  The ciabatta on Comet's Cuban adds another level of flavor and texture with it's crisp crust and soft porous body.   As I bit into the sandwich, I noticed how juicy the meat was as the natural juices of the meat dripped out of the sandwich.  (ALERT: not a first date type of sandwich because could potentially be a messy meal but don't hesitate to manage it if you think you have mad sandwich handling skills... I guess mine were lacking on this day.)  The fries were good and crisp.  Pickles are always a plus with a sandwich. The wild berry pie came with an oatmeal crumble on top.  The crust was a little crisp for my liking.  The filling was great with whole fruit and not too sweet with a little tartness to balance it out.  Good sized slice for everyone to have a bite.

Comet pies.  from Cometcafe.com
Other things to consider:
-Not the best for larger groups. If you still decide to go, you'll have to break up your group a tad.
-Nice enough server... you may get a birthday treat.
-Various flavors of home baked goods.


As you already know, I love me some comet cafe.  This sandwich wasn't one of my faves at comet but definitely not the bottom of the list either.  If someone asked me, probably wouldn't recommend this if they were going to Comet for the first time.  The pie was pretty darn good.  I would want to get the other flavors some other time, warmed up and with ice cream.   A la mod-E as she would say in Little Miss Sunshine.  Dig that movie.  I will be back there soon for sure!  Hope to see ya there. 

Comet Cafe
1947 N Farwell Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53202 
(414) 273-7677
OPEN
Monday - Thursday 10:30am-2am
Friday 10:30am - 2:30am
Saturday 9am - 230am
Sunday 9am - 2am
Food service ends at 10pm nightly
Happy Hour M-F 3:30 - 6:30pm
Daily Drink Specials start at 6:30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment